The successful candidate will assist the Primate department in providing the highest level of care for the primates at the ABQ BioPark. A strong commitment to conservation and an understanding of animal well-being is paramount.
The ABQ BioPark consists of the Zoo, Aquarium and Botanic Garden and Tingley Beach.
This position is employed through Tryfacta staffing agency, not the City of Albuquerque, and is located at the ABQ BioPark. This full-time position is limited to a two year term.
The Assistant Primate keeper duties may include, but are not limited to:
- Assist zookeepers in the day-to-day care of the Primate department
- Feed and water animals as directed
- Prepare diets for animals
- Clean and maintain assigned animal areas and workspaces as directed, and according to established BioPark guidelines
- Help maintain cleanliness of assigned areas
- Observe and assist animal training sessions
A Successful Assistant Primate keeper will:
- Be familiar with the purpose and importance of zoos and aquariums
- Prioritize safety and respect and follow protocols
- Be able to quickly adapt to change during the workday
- Be motivated to work independently as well as in a fast-paced team environment
- Have a friendly and open personality and enjoy working with a diverse cross section of individuals
- Be motivated, hard-working and dependable
- Be comfortable working outdoors for several hours a day in variable weather conditions.
Applicants must be 18 years or older and be physically able to lift or move up to 50 pounds (feed bags, perching and equipment).
Candidates must pass a security background check to be hired.
Applicants must be able to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation (standing, walking, reaching, bending, squatting, kneeling for prolonged periods of time; heavy moderate or light lifting, pulling, and pushing).
Applicants must be able to work around a variety of animals, the public, extreme heat, noise, dust, insects, and in inclement weather conditions.
Full-time; generally five days on, two days off. Works weekends. Hours from 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. Occasional holidays and evening work may be required.
$12.50 per hour. This position is employed through Tryfacta staffing agency, not the City of Albuquerque.
Please prepare a résumé and contact information for three references.
Send this information to [email protected] with the subject line Application for Assistant Primate keeper with Albuquerque BioPark. Applications must be received by December 11th, 2023.